Step 2: Get and enter your CotranslatorAI registration code
A. Register CotranslatorAI
Fill out the registration form below to receive your CotranslatorAI registration code and subscribe to our email communications.
CotranslatorAI Registration Form
[ form goes here ]
B. Get your CotranslatorAI registration code
After filling out the form above, you will receive an email to confirm your email address. Click the confirmation link and prove that you are human. You will then receive another email containing your CotranslatorAI registration code within 5-10 minutes. If you don’t see the email, be sure to check your spam folder!
C. Enter your CotranslatorAI registration code in CotranslatorAI
- Launch CotranslatorAI and activate it by clicking I have a registration code button. (If you did not complete the registration process in Step 2A above, click the Register for free button to do so.)
- Enter your CotranslatorAI registration code. You may use this CotranslatorAI registration code on all of your devices. In a corporate environment, please ensure that each employee receives a separate code.
- Click the Register button.
- You will now be prompted to change the OpenAI API key in the CotranslatorAI configuration dialogue.
You can click the Yes button to open the Configuration Dialogue window so that it will be ready for you in Step 3. Or you can click the No button to close out and then proceed immediately with Step 3 anyway, or come back to Step 3 later.
Step 3: Get and enter your OpenAI API key
A. Set up a developer account with OpenAI
To use CotranslatorAI, you will need an OpenAI API key. To obtain this key, you need to create a so-called “developer” account on the OpenAI platform at https://platform.openai.com/. (IMPORTANT: This is not the same as a ChatGPT/ChatGPT+ account which you would set up at https://chat.openai.com!) Create your developer account by clicking the Sign up link. After you sign up, you will be given a small balance of free credit that can be used during a short trial period (three months at the time of writing). After the trial period ends or the free credit is used up, you will need to provide your credit card details in your OpenAI developer account in the menu under your username at the top-right of the screen (Billing > Payment Methods). To avoid this hassle later, you can also enter your credit card details now, and even set up usage limits to control your costs.
B. Enter your OpenAI key in the CotranslatorAI configuration dialogue
- To get an OpenAI API key from your account on the OpenAI platform (https://platform.openai.com/), click your username at the top-right of the screen and select the View API Keys menu item.
- Click the Create new secret key button and a panel will be displayed asking for a name for your OpenAI API key (referred to on this panel as a “secret key”). You can assign a name to the new OpenAI API key if you wish (it is optional) and then click the Create secret key button on the panel. A new OpenAI API key will be generated for you.
- Click the button next to the OpenAI API key (the graphic in the button looks like two overlapping boxes) to copy it to the clipboard. Note that the OpenAI API key will no longer be accessible once you click the Done button, and the shortened OpenAI API keys which you see in the list of keys may not be used again. However, if you forget to copy the full OpenAI API key before closing this panel, if you you lose an OpenAI API key, or just wish to change your OpenAI API key, you can always generate a new one on this page. Also, if you think that your OpenAI API key could be or could have been seen by someone else, you can disable it by clicking the trash icon next to the OpenAI API key and then creating a new one and copying it to CotranslatorAI.
- Now that you have your OpenAI API key, go to the configuration dialogue that you opened at the end of Step 2, or open it now in CotranslatorAI from the Tools > Options menu.
- Select the OpenAI API tab, click the Update button, paste your OpenAI API key from the clipboard and click OK.
- In future versions, the OpenAI API key will be encrypted. But for now it is available as plain text, so make sure not to share your CotranslatorAI configuration file with others.
Now you are all set to use CotranslatorAI!